Thursday, March 10, 2011

Saving Myself for the Veep.

US Vice-president Biden is coming to Moldova and I'm going to meet him. He is delivering a speech to the public and having a "meet and greet" with Peace Corps.Last Sunday, our PTO called me and asked if I would help with the event. Although she had zero information about what "help" meant, I agreed.

Perhaps if I hadn't had a fever, I would have thought better of it. I had caught a cold over the weekend and was wiped out on viruses, medication and decongestants. But, trusting in medical science with a dose of folk medicine, I assumed I'd be fine by Friday.

Today is Thursday and the universe is smiling on me. I feel a lot better, have no fever and a little more energy. I'm sure I'm going to be able to help tomorrow and am anticipating the meeting this afternoon when I will find out what shape that help will take.

I've been thinking about two aspects of this visit: one is the possibility that yours truly will be seen on TV(local? national? international?)and will get another 15 minutes; and two is the security precautions I'll encounter or perhaps be a part of.

I normally operate on the premise that I'm not a terrorist and that no one I know is a terrorist so this (whatever security measures I'm undergoing) is just another irritation in my life, the pea under my mattress, which must be borne with princess-y grace.

Then the evil brain, the part that over-thinks everything and prepares for the worst, pipes up and says things like "Gabby Gifford" and "remember the bomb at Hram and the guy that strapped explosives to himself in front of the justice building", and I realize that meeting and greeting the veep might involve more than my shiny face on TV again saying something inane about worldpeaceandfriendship like some boomer Miss America.

The laws of probability say no, and I'm going with the rule of law.

See ya

No comments:

Post a Comment